According to Jolanta Sabaitiene, a fruit and vegetable expert of the “Aiki” business chain quoted in the press release, lychees come from China, where they have been cultivated for more than 4,000 years.
Lychees are very small – they usually weigh about 20 grams. In Asia, this fruit is known as the “King of Fruits” because it is rich in various beneficial nutrients. Also, since lychees look a bit like strawberries, they are considered a symbol of romance and love in China.
Care should be taken while choosing
According to fruit experts, to choose a delicious lychee, you need to pay attention to several things. First, press the skin with your thumb, if the fruit is ripe, it should be a little soft. The lychee should be peeled and the shell and stone thrown away before eating.
“These fruits are easy to peel with your fingers. Lychees should peel easily like an orange. Finally, cut the peeled lychee in half with a knife and remove the stone,” says J. Sabaitienne advises.
123RF.com Photo/Peeled Lychees
Goes well with both cheese and meat
Lychee is often consumed as a snack. However, they can be used more widely in cooking. For example, they go well with various cheeses, especially goat’s milk or cheddar.
Oatmeal, granola and cocktails can be enjoyed with lychees.
Lychees are added to fresh fruit salads, they go well with bananas, coconuts, mangoes, passion fruit or pineapple, citrus fruits and ginger. Various breakfast dishes can be flavored with lychees: oatmeal, granola, breakfast cocktails.
In Asia, lychees or their juice are often added to various sauces, combined with savory dishes such as chicken or various types of fish and seafood.
123RF.com Photo/Salad with Lychee
Lychee syrup is mostly made from these fruits. It is prepared simply – litchi is simply boiled in water with sugar. Lychee syrup is an excellent sweetener for cocktails, tea and other drinks. It is often used to flavor ice cream or sherbet.
In addition, J. Sabaitienė says that lychees go well with vanilla or chocolate and shares three recipes that use lychees creatively.
Shrimp and Lychee Salad
- 500 grams of large boiled shrimps;
- A handful of fresh mint leaves;
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves;
- 20 peeled, halved litchis;
- 150 grams of sunflower buds;
- A large handful of roasted peanuts;
- 0.5 onion, chopped.
For the sauce:
- hot pepper;
- 1 tbsp. spoon brown sugar;
- A little lemon juice;
- 2 tea. Spoon fish sauce.
1. Make the sauce first: chop the hot pepper, add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything.
2. Mix the prawns, mint, coriander, lychee, sprouts and half the peanuts with the sauce.
3. Put everything on a plate, sprinkle with remaining nuts and onions.
Salmon with lychee and greens
- A dash of fish sauce;
- 3 tea. spoon of sugar;
- A few pieces of salmon fillet;
- 3 tbsp. spoon of oil;
- A small cucumber, finely chopped;
- 20 peeled and chopped lychees;
- A handful of coriander leaves;
- A handful of basil leaves;
- 2 hot peppers;
- 1/3 red onion, cut into thin slices;
- 2 tbsp. spoon lemon juice.
1. First, prepare the marinade for the salmon: mix the fish sauce and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
2. Put the salmon in the marinade and put it in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the salmon until well browned on both sides.
4. Mix cucumber, litchi, coriander, basil, chilli and onion in a bowl. Place the salmon pieces on top.
5. Finally, mix the lemon juice, fish sauce and remaining sugar in a small bowl.
6. Pour the resulting sauce on the salad and enjoy.
Exotic fruit cocktail
- 2 large mangoes;
- 2 Kiwis;
- 1 dragon fruit;
- 3 litchis;
- 150 ml herbal drink;
- 8 ice cubes.
1. Peel and cut all the fruit so that you only have the soft, edible part of the fruit.
2. Add prepared fruits, ice cubes and herbal drink to electric chopper. Rub until the mass is very smooth and uniform.