- 1 glass of brown or red rice, washed under running water;
- 1 glass of Bolivian pigeon (kinwa) grits;
- A bunch of onion leaves, chopped;
- 150 grams of dried apricots, cut into cubes;
- 1 orange squeezed juice and grated peel;
- 100-150 g salted roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped;
- 3-4 tbsp. tablespoon olive oil;
- 0.5 lemon juice;
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed;
- 0.75 tea. spoon of salt;
- freshly ground black pepper;
- After 1 tsp. spoon chopped fresh parsley, dill and mint (if you don’t like them, don’t add them);
- Additionally: Feta cheese, avocado cubes, roasted tomatoes, oven-baked zucchini slices, horseradish.
1. Cook rice and Bolivian pigeonpea seeds in separate pots according to package directions. Whisk, place on wide plates and allow to cool completely. You can cook both ingredients the night before and store them tightly covered (once they’ve cooled) in the refrigerator.
2. Pour the rice, Bolivian pigeon peas, onion leaves, greens, pistachios, apricots, spices, grated orange peel and garlic into a large bowl. Mix it up. Add lemon and orange juice, oil and mix again. Taste for salt.
3. Ladle the mixture into bowls and top with your favorite toppings if desired (though not required).
This mixture will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days. It is perfect for office work in a lunch box.