“Anchovies are a secret ingredient that Italians use in many traditional dishes. They highlight the flavor characteristics of the ingredients in any dish,” says the chef in a press release from the Maxima shopping chain.
Although a large number of people say that they do not like anchovies, but eaters joke: everyone loves anchovies, only some do not know it yet, because they do not know what foods to combine them with. So we share tips to help you tame anchovies.
Photo by R. Daskevičius/Gian Luca Demarco
What do anchovies go well with?
Anchovies are available as fillets and canned, but in this case the inner bone and skin must be removed. All types of anchovies should be eaten with other products. This is one of the basic rules that will help you discover new flavors.
“Anchovies are a simple ingredient that can bring a lot of flavor to your daily diet. For example, in Italy it is very popular to use fresh anchovies. They are fried in oil with other seafood. Italians eat this dish as an appetizer or as a main course. Anchovies give seafood a completely different flavor,” says GLDemarco.
Vida Press Photo/Fresh Anchovy Appetizer
Anchovies are a secret ingredient that gives sauces an unexplored but very pleasant flavor.
Anchovies are a secret ingredient that gives sauces an unexplored but very pleasant flavor. A good example is tomato sauce.
“If you are making a tomato sauce, you should not forget the anchovy fillets, they give a unique aftertaste to the sauce. Anchovies have a special characteristic: at high temperatures, their consistency changes, they become loose. When making the tomato sauce, first add the anchovy fillets and a few pieces of garlic. Using these ingredients , you will be able to get a taste of being taken to Italy for a while,” says the visitor.
Another and simpler way of using this fish is anchovy and olive sauce, which requires only a few ingredients: a few pieces of anchovy fillet, hot olive oil with garlic.
“You can safely use this sauce to season main dishes. It’s true, when combining anchovies with other products, you should not oversalt the dishes, because anchovies themselves are quite salty,” advises the chef.
Vida Press Photo/Anchovies preserved in oil
In Lithuania, anchovies are usually sold in an olive oil marinade. For this reason, the production of anchovies does not require special preparation. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
“And to do this in the warm season, when you treat seasonal vegetables, is the best time. For example, if you try anchovies with green pepper or olives, you will not be disappointed, because the flavors of these products go well together. You will not regret trying anchovies made with smidri. To experiment and enjoy the new discovered flavors I want to encourage you,” advises the chef and shares one of his recipes.
Roasted Sweet Peppers with Anchovy Sauce (Pepperoni con bagna cauda)
“It’s a very photogenic dish. It’s one of those situations where you’re better off not being seen eating, but the taste never disappoints!” – asserts the chef.
Ingredients (for 6 servings):
- 80-100 grams of anchovy fillet preserved in oil;
- 6 sweet red peppers;
- 1 head of garlic (10 cloves);
- 500 ml of milk;
- Extra virgin olive oil.
1. We prepare pepper fillet. All peppers are coated with oil, sprinkled with salt and fried – directly on the flame or in an oven heated to a temperature of 200 degrees for about 40 minutes (until the skin of the peppers is wrinkled in places).
2. Place the peppers in a paper bag (don’t panic, they will shrivel up and release their juices when taken out of the oven), or in a metal bowl and cover with foil. When the peppers are cool (not before!), peel them. Then we carefully tear (or cut) into quarters lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
3. We prepare the sauce. Pour the milk into the pan, add the peeled garlic cloves and cook on low heat until the garlic is soft (this will take at least 20 minutes, it is best to cook until the garlic starts to split). Add the anchovies and continue to cook, stirring, until the anchovies begin to break down. Then we mash the sauce with an electric blender and continue cooking on low heat until it thickens. Before putting the sauce on the peppers, grind them again with an electric blender.
4. Put the pepper fillet in a baking dish, put the sauce on top and bake for 10 minutes in an oven heated to 180 degrees. The dish is delicious both hot, cold and warm.